Thursday, April 25, 2013

Feelings of "Off-Ness"

Since leaving the ER (go here to read that story) I have felt really "off".

The first 2 days being home, I tried breastfeeding with miserable results. Monday afternoon, I stopped breastfeeding and went to feeding Avonlea breast milk from the bottle, and my sanity returned.

But, I am still a little off.

I feel like my brain is gone. Even Nick has noticed it.  The hemoglobin levels being low contributes to a feeling of lethargy and loss of concentration.

I'm still bleeding a little more heavily than I was the week post-surgery.

I have also not wanted to eat anything. I put food in my mouth and it tastes like nothing.  It's doing wonders for getting my weight off, but nothing for my calorie intake for Avonlea.  In the hospital after surgery, I had no appetite problem--its only started since coming home.

I'm also getting fever and chills. Fever at around 101.7.  Usually when my breasts are really hard.  It hasn't been too much of a problem, only when I'm breastfeeding.  I was pumping every 2 hours during the day when Avonlea ate, and every 3 hours overnight when Avonlea ate. Overnight I would get crazy fever and chills, but during the day I was fine.

Well, I went to a lactation consultant today, after I have healed a bit, and am trying breastfeeding again. Problem is, we measured her after feeding, and she eats about 2 oz...and with bottle feeding, she was eating a solid 3 oz, and I am up to 5.5oz production every pump.

I'm going to pump overnight--easing back into breastfeeding--which should help, and I will pump for a shorter amount of time to try to cut my production back.

But should I be concerned about the other things?

3 comments:

  1. Must call Dr. Sounds like a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely call your doc. Mastitis? Infection after surgery? Regardless, fever isn't a good sign and you should be treated so you can be at your best for Avonlea and for YOU! Heal soon, Mama.

    ReplyDelete