Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Thoughts on Ohio and Family









Our trip to Ohio (and Kentucky) was great. Avonlea did a wonderful job on the flights. She only fussed a small amount at the very end of our flights to Ohio, and fussed a little more on our flight home--but Nick said it wasn't bad and I did a good job with her.

We were able to see all of my family (except one of my cousins and her family), and we were able to see Nick's mom and husband, who drove in from the Chicago area.

Avonlea had a really hard time with the time change for the first few days. She was REALLY cranky. The first few days we only saw family, though, so they didn't mind the crying so much. They were just happy to see her!

We drove around a lot, but not so much that I felt super-rushed or like I didn't get to chat with people enough.  I also didn't go out of my way to meet with people. I just didn't want to have a jam-packed schedule like I've had before. I knew it wouldn't be good for Avonlea.

I was able to get a taste of what raising Avonlea in Ohio would be like. I don't think I would have had so many struggles the first few months, because I would have had family support like I didn't have here. Don't get me wrong: it's not like I would've called them all the time. But it would've been nice to know that they were a phone call away, instead of a phone call and a plane ride away.

Yes, there are disadvantages sometimes to being around so much family. But, when you aren't around them at all, you wish they were nearby.  It makes me sad to think that Avonlea won't immediately recognize her aunts and uncles. They won't be at all of her birthday parties and holidays like I had when I was growing up.  I was surrounded by such love and support my whole life, and I worry that Avonlea won't know that she's part of such an amazing family.

When we left my grandma, she broke down in tears. She commented that she doesn't know if she'll ever see Avonlea again. She also said that Avonlea would never remember her great-grandma.

While the first sentence might be true (we think we will go back for Christmas, but you never know what will happen), I will make sure the 2nd sentence isn't true. Just like I will make sure that she knows who her Nana (my mom) was.

But it is true that for now, Avonlea will grow up away from family. We are among a community of orphans out here, and it forms some great friendships. Those friendships will become like our families, since we are all craving those connections.  It will certainly not replace our true family, but it will put a balm on the hurt we experience when we miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment