Thursday, July 11, 2013

Mommy Question

The past few days, Avonlea has been sleeping all the time, and eating less.  For example, two nights ago, she went to bed at 8pm. Got up at midnight to eat, 5 to eat, and woke up for good at 8. She went back down for a nap from 9-10:30 (I know she's ready for a nap, because she screams bloody murder and won't eat), was ready for a nap again at noon (but we went to the store instead). When we got home she went back to sleep from 1:30-4, then again from 5:30-7. She went to bed at 8:30.  Overnight feedings have been longer, but during the day she is only eating from one side at a time, maybe for 10 minutes max (usually more around 5 minutes). Sometimes I can come back and get her to eat from the other side after a half hour or so, but it is killing me!  I can chalk it up a little bit to her getting more productive. But it seems like 5 minutes is pretty short.

Last night, I was so full that my stream was choking her it was coming out so fast!  Plus, she was getting a lot more than her tummy could handle, and she had major vomits--once all over me when I was putting her back to bed, the other this morning and soaked through everything she was wearing, and all the sheets.

Usually, if I'm super full I wake up and can pump a little bit to ease my supply for her, but I haven't the past couple of nights, and when Avonlea wakes up, she is ready to eat NOW.

Anyway--is this extra sleep but minimal eating normal?  Or should I be concerned?

3 comments:

  1. When babies go thru growth spurts, they sleep longer. Eating less just means she's satisfied...Growth happens during sleep because it's painful (obviously we wouldn't remember that part ;) ) She is happy, full and healthy, and you're doing it right :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would naturally say "growth spurt." She's three months, right? If so, growth spurt. Also, at 3/4 months my little munchkin sprout some teeth. They ALMOST broke through the gums and then receded and she didn't get teeth til she was 7/8 months old!! The doctor said this is "fairly" common. So, if something like that is going on with her, she might be in a bit of discomfort and not want to eat...just my experience....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally normal. Expect this change every 3 months. There's no need to worry or be concerned. Although it always has taken me a day or two to read the silent message my kids send. Feed on demand and let her communicate what it needs. Hopefully, it will blow over in about 2 weeks and she'll right her schedule again. Maybe with some slight differences in schedule. Keep the pump close by and stay close to home to make it easier for you and her. Not being able to nurse as much can take a lot out of you and tax your body and she clearly needs all the sleep she can get in her comfortable home environment.

    ReplyDelete