Friday, January 4, 2013

New Doctor

Nick and I had our first appointment with our new doctor on the 2nd. I got a recommendation from a friend at church for someone in Burbank, but they didn't take our insurance. So, I went on Yelp. I think it's actually a good way to find a doctor, because people are going to go there if they really like something, or if they really hate something.  This new doctor, Dr. Pearson, got really good reviews from every person.

I called their office to set up the appointment, and came off the phone hoping that the Dr. would be as awesome as their receptionist. She was so nice!!

Thankfully, we were not disappointed. When we first got there, we went into his office, and the nurse (the same woman I talked to on the phone) gave us a huge bag filled with goodies and info. Immediately, this was one thing different from my other office. I always felt like I should have gotten some kind of "welcome packet" or something.  They gave me a list of local pediatricians, a list of the local parenting/childbirth classes, an equipment rental service, a pregnancy journal, and information about the local hospital where the doctor practices.

Then, the doctor came in, and we just sat and chatted for a while. He went over the pregnancy basics with me, about diet and vitamins, and other things. It was so reassuring, because I felt like I was being treated like this was my first kid. I also liked how realistic he was. He asked me if I was taking prenatal vitamins, and then talked about how stupidly expensive they are and how they are really kind of pointless. My other doctor was trying to get me to buy these vegan vitamins for $85/bottle. He also encouraged me that I'm okay for having my glass of sweet tea or Mt. Dew a day, and he told Nick not to worry about my half-marathon.  It was a combination of many things, but I am SO glad that I switched.

Oh--he also has a really fun English accent, and studied at Dublin University, so that's fun!  Nick felt really comfortable with him, too.

I get to go back in 2 weeks, after taking my glucose test. Hooray for the goofy sugar water!

On another note, there are now 3 women who work in my kids church with me who are all pregnant, and due within 4 months of each other. It's fun to share this experience with other first-timers. One friend is having a lot of the same nausea problems that I was having, so I am glad to be able to support her and encourage her on her journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment