Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lovey-Dovey Feelings


Miss Avonlea and I have been learning about each other.

And I am falling in love more and more every day.  I seriously can't stop staring at her. I love watching her falling asleep. I love watching her smile in her sleep. I love watching her twitches when she hears a loud noise. I love when her eyes go super wide when the lights go off at night. I love when she realizes I am watching her and I see the recognition in her eyes--and the last week, watching her burst into a huge smile.

God has really been faithful to me, and taking our rough start and helping me to get over it.

I'm also learning about her cues. She has been really fussy in the evenings--I'm learning that it is a cue for her being sleepy and needing another nap!  The last couple of days, she's gotten up around 7:30 or 8am, she'll take a 3-hr nap at 10:30, and another 3-hr nap about 6.  Then she'll go to sleep at 9:30 or 10.

Right now, she's such a good sleeper. I know I need to appreciate it while I can, because it might not last. Of course, she could prove to be just like me and be a great sleeper.

She's firmly in the "5 S's" camp. The theory is that babies have a 4th Trimester outside of the womb, and they are happiest when you simulate the 5 S's that they are able to experience in the womb: swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing (loud white noise), swinging (rhythmic jiggly motion), and sucking.

The only S I don't do frequently is sucking--I do not want her using a pacifier because she has nipple confusion. She has found her hands a few times and I'll catch her sucking on those, though.

But, when she's fussy, I wrap her up nice and tight, hold her close to me on her side, shush in her ear, and sway back and forth or bounce-walk around. Shuts her right up--and usually makes her fall asleep. :)

Tomorrow I'm hoping to take Avonlea to a Babywearing Clinic at a local park. I have a Moby wrap and an Ergo carrier, and she really hates both. I'd like to do more babywearing while we're out and about, but she fusses so badly that it doesn't seem worth it. I'm wondering if a different carrier would be better.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the birth announcement. Avonlea is beautiful! I have been praying for you and love reading about your motherhood journey. You are a fantastic mom. I hope I get to meet your sweetie in the near future.
    On a side note, I was looking through some old papers and found a note your dad wrote to me your freshman year of high school when we first met. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete