Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Inconvenient Truth

Avonlea is 5 1/2 months old now. She's sitting up all by herself, she's smiley and giggly and overall a lot of fun.



But there are 2 things about her that are really inconvenient.

1. She only sleeps in 4-hour stretches.  I'm working on this, trying to sleep-train, but I am convinced that "sleep training" is loosely translated as "baby is fine and mommy gets no sleep".  Last night, she fussed for an hour before I just got so sick of it, I went in and fed her.  I didn't feed her very long--I cut her off after just a minute or two on each side--but I still fed her.  I was just tired of trying to get her to go back to sleep! But of course, after feeding her, she fell asleep immediately, and I was wide awake.

2. She won't take a bottle.  I've tried. I've done different bottles, different nipples, warm milk, cool milk, from a straw...nothing.  She gnaws on the bottle and gets a little bit, but there's no sucking at all.  Which means, she is handcuffed to me as her primary source of nutrition.  It makes "date night" a non-concept in our household.  Even me going out and doing anything by myself is a thing of the past.  I am limited to sub-3-hour excursions.

Both of these things are frustrating and inconvenient.

But, really, in the scheme of life, is it really that big of a deal?  Yes, it's inconvenient.  But, at most, it is a year. A year in the life of my sweet girl who is learning how to sleep and eat and, you know, live. Aren't there worse things to be handcuffed to than the life of the little one you birthed and are committed to help grow and mature and learn to do things in this crazy world?  Yes, breastfeeding in public is inconvenient, and carrying around an increasingly heavy baby is cumbersome, but when you compare it to the next 35 years when you'll be wishing you were able to control exactly where they go and what they eat, isn't it worth it to just suck it up for a year?

A year is nothing. It goes by so quickly, it can seem like it is a vapor. You look back and realize that the years have vanished, and you wonder what happened. I just think of the lyrics to the Trace Adkins song:
You're gonna miss this.
You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times,
So take a good look around.
You may not know it now,
But you're gonna miss this.
There are so many things that I will look back on and wish I could do over again--and getting to snuggle with my baby is definitely one of them.

So while it is inconvenient, I do not regret it. I choose not to be angry or frustrated by it. I choose to embrace it, and hold my little girl for as long as she'll let me.

3 comments: