Monday, June 10, 2013

Glimpses of Wonder

"Woven into all of the difficult moments (or hours... or days) of parenting are these glimpses of wonder that I find in each of them." - Michelle Cooper
Today was another hard day. First day of physical therapy for Avonlea's neck.  She has torticollis, so we go to the doctor once a week, and have exercises to do every day.  They aren't comfortable for her, and she spent most of the appointment between fussing and screaming.

She doesn't have a lot of peaceful time during the day, and now I am filling it with exercises that make her scream. Yay.
"Woven into all of the difficult moments (or hours... or days) of parenting are these glimpses of wonder that I find in each of them." - Michelle Cooper
She's also been spitting up. A lot. I mean, every single meal, during feedings, after feedings, spitting up. Tonight Nick said it was at least an ounce and a half that she spit up. She's screaming at an hour and a half to eat...no eating between 2 and 3 hours for her.

I've cut out dairy, broccoli, garlic. I was off caffeine a while, too, but I'm going back off of it again, which means no Mt. Dew. It really makes me so sad. But I can't think of anything else to do.  She's SO fussy, and I'm terrified of being on the plane with her in 10 days. After all, if a baby is crying on the plane, no one looks at the baby. They all look at the mom.
"Woven into all of the difficult moments (or hours... or days) of parenting are these glimpses of wonder that I find in each of them." - Michelle Cooper
Yes, I know I wrote the same quotation (by my former principal's wife) 3 times. But for me, I need the constant reminder that no matter how hard the day is, there are still amazing moments with Avonlea that I get to share. She gets this huge, goofy grin on her face when I blow on her toes. She looks with wonder at the mobile above her changing table. She gets instantly quiet when I shush in her ear. These little moments are full of wonder for me, and I need to remember them when things get tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment