Saturday, May 9, 2015

For My "Other Mothers"

Mother's Day is hard for me. That's easy to understand. I miss my mom. I miss my Mamaw Campbell. I am sad I don't get to celebrate with them, and share my own girls with them.

But I would definitely be remiss if I didn't take time to comment on the fact that I still have FOUR amazing women that I can call "Mom" on this day. And I want to take a few minutes to share how they have impacted my life.

First, "Aunt Sunni". When I talk about my life here in Los Angeles, it is nearly impossible not to mention Sunni. She is our next door neighbor, and our landlord--but she is so much more than that for our family. She has taken over the Mom/Grandma role for us ever since we moved into our current home. She watches the girls. She loves Avonlea like she was her own granddaughter. She makes Avonlea amazing gifts, like "pimped out Cozy Coupe" that looks like Minnie Mouse:



She lets our guests stay at her mother-in-law apartment. She brings food and does my dishes and hangs out with the girls so I can take a nap. She is the Mom that I don't have here. My friends all exclaim, "*I* want an Aunt Sunni!" We don't ever want to move because of her.

Secondly, Great-Grammy Klimis. We don't get to see her often, but she loves and cares for my girls so much. She sends them beautiful dresses for the holidays. She cared for her husband through his many years with Alzheimer's disease, and was an incredible example of self-sacrifice and spousal love. And she raised a wonderful son, who cares deeply for my mother-in-law, and that makes her an All-Star Mom in my book.



Thirdly, my Mother-in-Law, Gaydene. I know of friends who have horror stories of their mothers-in-law, but I have absolutely no concept of that fact. My Mom is loving and kind. She has a heart to serve and love others. It was one of my first impressions of her when we met when Nick and I were dating. She just wanted to make a difference in other's lives, and I can say first-hand she has done that. She absolutely loves her grandkids. She doesn't get to see them as often as she would like, but she stays involved in all of our lives. Avonlea is growing up with a love of her Grammy, even though we are several states away from each other. She didn't have the easiest time as a mom herself, raising Nick on her own for a period of time. But she did an amazing job raising a son of integrity, who values hard work and quality, who provides for his family and is a source of strength for us to lean on. She helped to make Nick the man that I married, and for that I am forever grateful.


Finally, Grandma Hume. I have so many amazing memories of Grandma. Of Saturday mornings eating Cream of Rice cereal with her and Grandpa. Of Sunday afternoons at the pool at Kettering Rec Center and falling asleep on her couch afterward while the water dripped out of my ears. Of dressing up in her old nightgowns. Of croquet matches in her backyard on the hill. Of climbing her magnolia tree and picking roses in her backyard. Of putting up her tree together. Of epic family dinners with enough desserts to feed an army. Of beautiful handmade linens and drapes. Of photos and cameras and memories in handmade books. Of Tupperware containers filled with treats after every college soccer game, and earning the nickname of "Cookie Grandma." Of 63 God-filled years of marriage. Of countless matches of Rummikub and Monopoly and Memory and Chinese Checkers. Of endless service projects at church and hosting missionary families and friends in a never-ending sea of hospitality. Many of the best moments of my life include my Grandma, and I know thousands of others who would say the same. She is going to need a wheelbarrow to carry around her crown of jewels when she eventually gets to Heaven. She's 89 and a little slower than she used to be, but she's still a spitfire and a woman I love with every bit of who I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment