Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Mom Question

I don't know why I was so excited when Avonlea finally rolled over from her back to her front. It has caused nothing but trouble!

Since Avonlea was born, she has never slept on her front. Not on me, and not in her crib. This is partly because I was terrified by the thought of SIDS. But mostly, it was because she couldn't turn her head all the way in either direction because of her torticollis.

We have been going to therapy for several months now, and she has full turning motion now (we're still working on her head-tilt), but still acts very uncomfortable when she has to put pressure on her neck while it's turned (which is why she doesn't fall asleep on my chest or on my shoulder).

Well, this is now a problem. Because she likes to sleep on her side, but she often rolls over on to her front, and then wakes up, frustrated because she can't sleep on her front, and has somehow forgotten how to roll back on to her back.

When I put her down for a nap, it usually takes her about 15 minutes to fall asleep, and I go in every 7-8 minutes or so--usually needing to turn her over because she is grunting and fussing about being on her tummy.

But this week, with a combination of a cold and this turning-over problem, she has been up every two hours (and one night, it was every half-hour--yeah, that night about killed me).

I am not really sure how to teach her that she can sleep on her front. I will go in sometimes, and she is so tired that she is trying to sleep on her front--but she is literally face-planting in her bed. That REALLY freaks me out.  I tried to leave her that way, but she woke herself back up 5 minutes later.  I also don't know what else I can do to help her roll from her front to her back. She has done it before (she did it at 2 months, for goodness sake), but it's like she has totally forgotten.

Any suggestions, mamas

Updated to Add:  I went in to check on her, and she had fallen asleep like this.  Maybe I spoke too soon (or too late?)?


2 comments:

  1. There are wedges you can they are actually called sids pillows and they have Velcro so you can move and if she likes to sleep on her side you can make it so she cant roll over and will stay on her side my girls used them and loved them hope it helps those days are so tiring and frustrating keep going momma you are doing great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, with my boys who slept best on their sides I would roll a blanket or some such item, and just prop it against their tummy so they didn't roll. I rested easier knowing they wouldn't "faceplant" and they rested better because they weren't uncomfortable. Hope you get more sleep soon!!

    ReplyDelete